23 August 2014

Widgets

Widgets

Highly Recommended Takeaway Dessert Shop | Oddies

What really caught my eye in the middle of a random local street in Wanchai was the neat and transparent decor of this little newly opened ice-cream shop. It’s not just any random local dessert shop though. Just as its name suggests, desserts being sold here are put together by odd, yet surprisingly go-well-together ingredients. Other than the usual 5 dessert being served on the regular menu, a different special flavor is served for a limited time every weekend.
Clean and transparent decorMenu


Having reached my early thirties, my risk aversion suggested that I opt for the low-fat gelato on matcha panna cotta, fresh mango, sesame crumble and caramelized almond meringue, finished with an edible pansy flower and butterfly waffle, named “Oddies Garden,” at a price of $49. I’m never a big fan of paying for overpriced take-away dessert but this Oddies Garden was surely worth its money. Cute presentation similar to those served in Ms B yet half the price, this cup of scrumptious dessert was a piece of art standalone with the detailed edible butterfly and carefully layered goodies.


The gelato was very very smooth and reminded me of the ones I had in Florence many years ago, although they did melt quickly in this summer heat so I really had to nibble against the clock. Sweetness of the matcha panna cotta was adjusted just right which went extremely well with the exotic taste of the fresh mango. The pansy flower and butterfly waffle were better off left alone as visual art appreciation though, unless you are really feeling extremely hungry that day.
Pretty edible pansy flower and butterfly waffle
Pretty edible pansy flower and butterfly waffle

I never understand why there’re always long line-ups for the small scoop of overpriced $44 gimmick ice-cream at Lab Made in Tai Hang, while a hearty good quality dessert at Oddies is sold for only 5 bucks more and yet, it’s almost always empty whenever I passed by this hidden gem. Oddies is definitely one of my top picks, and let’s hope that I won't gain another 10 pounds from my bi-weekly visits…!


Oddies, G/F 149 Wanchai Road, Wanchai, +852 9155 5185
Distict:  Wanchai
Overall Rating:  4.5 / 5
Cost:  $50 per cup

*REPOSTED on OpenRice


No comments:

Post a Comment